Philadelphia Gas Works LNG Storage
- This PRELOAD LNG project for Philadelphia Gas Works presented a unique challenge due to the soil conditions at the building site:
- Each of the two 230’ ID x 82’ SWD tanks were supported by over 2,200 piles, and high molecular weight plastic pipes were used over typical metallic conduits due to the corrosive nature of the soil.
- Load bearing insulation was used for the wall footing as well as the floor to additionally protect from temperature and differential stresses.
- Like many LNG projects, the outer prestressed concrete walls were used as a dike system.
- PRELOAD also accounted for several other potential hazards in the design, such as the ability to support the weight of fire protection and vaporization equipment.
- These tanks are another example of how PRELOAD stands ready to accept any LNG storage challenge with a tank system to suit the operation’s specific needs.